Last year was the first time I really started exploring Indian food and through it I discovered one of my treasured drinks, Mango Lassi. I’ve never made my own mango lassi before (and if this works out and taste delicious perhaps it’ll become my new weekend thing to do) but I thought in popsicle form? I must. So this is my attempt, and again I used the internet for guidance in my recipe as I had no idea what was in a mango lassi besides mango and yogurt. It turns out…that was about it. My twist is no sugar, and making it organic because I love making my popsicles as natural as possible. My recipe will make about 10 popsicles, hope you enjoy and let me know if you tried it out.
- 2 Mangos
- Greek Yogurt
*I am using organic but any type works great
10 minutes to prep, 7-8 hours in freezer
- Wash both mangos, cut off the side stripes and discord the seed. Cut into small chunks.
- Puree mango chunks
- Measure out 2 cups of greek yogurt into blender or food processer.
- Now add honey to taste (around 3 to 4 tablespoons) and blend again for 1 minute.
- For the more adventerious, you can add various spices to add a bit of zing (ie not me).
*cardamom, ginger, cinnamon
- Place in mold, if you want to swirl effect you can alternative between mango lassi mixture and a second mixture of 1/2 cups greek yogurt with 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Clean the top of the mold and put on the lid before putting into the freezer for 7-8 hours.
There was a tiny bit of leftovers of the mixture so Victor got to enjoy a cup of mango lassi. He and I both really enjoyed the flavor so I think I have a new fun drink to make on the weekends. In popsicle form it’s just as delicious and these carry a powerful mango flavor that I just love. However I think next time I will try adding coriander because even though it tasted like the mango lassi I get at restaurants it did feel like it could really be more. The one thing that surprised me the most about this recipe was how long it toke to freeze. I thought 4 hours would be plenty but it definitely is one you’ll want to leave overnight. For anyone who enjoys mango these are amazing and are a great breakfast treat to get you energized.