I love apple crumbles, they are one of those perfect autumn desserts that always hits the spot (well for me at least). Last year I made one as soon as I got home from picking apples and this year I planned to do the same until I realized how amazing combining an apple crumple with cupcakes would be. I searched online for a recipe but I just didn’t find any that hit the spot for me so I modified and made my own. I thought I’d share it with you because these are perfect for the apple season and a great alternative to apple pies and crumbles. Let me know if you tried the recipe in the comments or modifications you’d make. This recipe makes around 15 cupcakes.
15 minutes to bake, 30minutes prep work
What You’ll Need:
- 3 Apples
*I am using MacIntosh as they are a good baking apple but what you like/can get
- 1 cup Self-Rising flour
* or all-purpose flour with 1/2 teaspoon baking soda & 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- Optional: nuts or oats
- Whip Cream for icing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, add liners in cupcake tray
- Prepare apples by peeling them and cutting them into small pieces. In a small bowl add apple cubes with a tablespoon of brown sugar and a pinch of cinnamon. Mix together with a fork until a syrup is created.
- Prepare dry ingredients by add flour, salt, and spices (if using regular flour add baking soda & powder) in a small bowl. Mix together with a whisk until combined.
- Prepare crumble by mixing flour with sugar and cinnamon in a small ball before adding in softened butter. Mix with your hands or a fork.
- In a large bowl beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg, apple sauce and vanilla; beat until combined on medium speed.
- Add in dry ingredients in small intervals and mix until completely combined.
- Fold in apple mixture into cupcake batter.
- Take the cupcake batter and add to cupcake liners about 60% full.
- Add crumble to the top of the batter.
- Bake in over until toothpick comes out clean, about 15minutes.
- Take out cupcakes from the oven and cool
- Once cupcakes are cool add a dollop of whip cream to the top and eat!
The cupcakes turned out amazing, I love this recipe and will be making these again (maybe even later this week). Although I think next time I`ll make the apple chunks a little smaller or only use 2 large apples. This is a great base recipe without the crumble or the whip cream on top which is great if you are on a diet or want to lower your sugar intake. The apple cupcake with everything on top though is just divine, I recommend eatting them warm as well (so good). A perfect recipe for the apple season, even more so if you can go to an orchard to pick your own or pick up local apples from the market.